My life in books:
Work has begun and so I have far less time to read these days. In addition, I had a 5-week no reading experience. What?! No reading? It was such a strange thing, but I am slowly creeping back. Since my last Sunday Salon on August 6, here's what I've read:
- President's Day by Seth Margolis--an adult political intrigue/mystery
- Max by Sarah Cohen-Scali--a YA book set during the Nazi era that takes a different twist
- My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows--a very fun historical fiction YA that reminds me of the Princess Bride in its attitude
I also did the Longest Book Tag, which makes me realize I don't read huge numbers of super long books.
I've been chosen as a Cybils Awards judge so my reading better be on track by January when I read round 2 books for junior and senior high nonfiction books! Nominations are now open until October 15.
- Read Your Own Damn Books--My goal was to read 25 books from my TBR shelves this year. So far I've read 31, adding one in the past two weeks. I've been reading a bunch of books borrowed from the library so this challenge hasn't gone very far recently.
- Travel the World in Books--The idea is to read books set in as many countries as possible. I have added no new countries recently.
- Literary Escapes--Similar to the previous challenge, this one tracks the US states. I have added no new states recently.
- Read all of the ALA YA Award Winners--complete
Work started up again near the end of August and it's been go-go-go ever since. I am having a bit of a personal crisis about work. It's going well, but I feel like I am not being as effective as I could be so I need to work through that and figure out what to change.
An interesting tidbit is that I've been named chair of the teachers' union for our negotiating team. I've been on the negotiating team for 6 years, but this is the first time I'll be Chair. So far so good and I am enjoying it.
Today my daughter turns 17. Somehow that seems so much older than 16, which is silly, I know. Perhaps it's because she is a senior in high school, applying to colleges, and living 2 hours away at boarding school. Boy is it a stressful time!
Not much else to report, except we've got visitors from the UK this week so that's fun to see them as it's been far too long.
My biggest news is that I completed the AVON Walk to End Breast Cancer. What an incredible experience! You can read all about and see photos here.
I am still watching Criminial Minds and Project Runway. But, I am totally excited that fall TV is starting up. I've already watched the first episode of Will and Grace and I am looking forward to Young Sheldon (Big Bang spin off) and Madam Secretary!