Diversity Reading Challenge with Carla and Lenorea at Celebrity Readers
This challenge is a no-brainer for me as I already read books by a diverse range of authors. However, not diverse enough, so I am hoping that this challenge will get me to pay even more attention.
What do they mean by "diversity?" The author or the main character – or one of the leads, who preferably has a POV – has to belong to a diverse group. According to the definition of We Need Diverse Books:
While we’re pretty lax about how you wish to set up this challenge for yourself, we do have a few guidelines to follow.
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2021 to December 31st, 2021. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is open from now until December 1st, 2021, so you may join even just for the last month of the year.
- Any format and length of book counts – print, ebook, audio, ARC, etc.
- Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable!
- Reviews are not required, but highly encouraged.
How to play:
Declare your intentions to participate in this challenge somewhere on the internet!! You do not need to be a blogger to participate, there are many ways to declare. You could write a blog post, create a reading challenge page, create a Goodreads shelf containing diverse books you hope to read, post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
For those who want to challenge themselves even more, each month has a theme to read towards. These themes will help you tackle the different kinds of diversity. On occasion we’ve given multiple themes in a month to give readers options (ie I had a lot of great choices, and I couldn’t decide).
- JANUARY – diverse folktales/culture/mythology; or diverse retelling; or non-western setting
- FEBRUARY – poc: Black/African American
- MARCH – #ownvoices; or gender: female authors in male-dominated genres/non-fiction
- APRIL – poc: Middle Eastern/South Asian
- MAY – poc: East Asian/Southeast Asian/Pacific Islander
- JUNE – LGBT+ pride summer: sexuality and gender identity
- JULY – LGBT+ pride summer: sexuality and gender identity
- AUGUST – mental health/addiction
- SEPTEMBER – poc: hispanic/latinx
- OCTOBER – physical/sensory/cognitive/intellectual/developmental disabilities
- NOVEMBER – poc: Native American
- DECEMBER – religious minorities
We offer you 3 different levels of achievement for the mini-challenge. I am going for Novice
NOICE LEVEL ⇒ PARTICIPATE IN 1-4 MONTHLY THEMES.