- Literary Escapes Challenge--This week: 0 states and 0 countries. 17 states and 12 countries total
- Mount TBR Challenge--0 books read this week, 28 books total
- Popsugar reading challenge--0 books read this week, 23 books total
- Social Justice Challenge--0 books read this month, 5 books total
- YA Award Winners--0 books read this week, 7 books total
My life outside books:
I am having trouble reading. It pains me to write those words as books, and reading, have been such a huge part of my life. I've also been doing a lot of thinking about our students and what they read for pleasure and in school. For them to see themselves in what they read is so vital. They need to see their joys, their trauma, their skin, their emotions, and their experiences in texts. Too often, they instead see a white world that oppresses them and who they are. Yes, the protests around the country in response to yet another murder of a black person have saddened me. Saddened isn't a strong enough word. I am sad, angry, frustrated, and I feel helpless. I will attend the protest in my town today, but I'll wear a mask and keep my distance. Through all of this, my thoughts are focused on schools and the trauma we inflict on students every day when they are not seen, not heard, and are not acknowledged. Thank you for indulging me the space for these thoughts.
On a happier note, it's graduation time and I feel so for the seniors (both high school and college) who aren't getting to go through ceremonies. But, my alma mater, Santa Barbara High School, did a cool thing. Check out this brief news clip.