My life in books:
- Bess and Frima by Alice Rosenthal--Character driven adult fiction
- The Fashion Committee by Susan Juby--fun YA
- The Stranger Game by Peter Gadol--Adult fiction
- Picking Cotton by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton with Erin Torneo
--exceptional adult non-fiction
- Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake--important YA about sexual assault
- Big Book Summer Challenge (complete)--I read 5 books longer than 400 pages this summer. This challenge is now done since summer has ended.
- Non-fiction (complete)--My goal is 20 books and I've read 38!
- Literary Voyage around the world--Read books set in as many countries as possible. I have read in 37 countries so far, and in the past two weeks added Canada.
- Literary Escapes--Track the US states. I have read books set in 30 states so far and in the past two weeks added none.
- Read all of the ALA YA Award Winners (complete)--I have already read all of the winners!
- Motif Reading Challenge--The October is New (2018) or Old (a classic) so I chose Bess and Frima (2018) by Alice Rosenthal.
I have been writing a ton of curriculum over the past couple of weeks. There is a federal law called the FAIR Act, which says 8th and 11th grade social studies classes must cover the history of LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities. Our teachers need some pushing on this so I am writing lessons for them. I love creating lessons!
My daughter came home rom Vassar for her October break a couple days ago and it is so wonderful to see her! She is here for a week, but is already gone down to LA to visit high school friends. I am taking a couple half days so we can hang out.
She has made a list of "must see" movies so her first two nights home we watched "All the President's Men" and Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds". Both super good, but in very different ways!
I like that fall TV has started up again. I am watching ...