My life in books:
Since my last Sunday Salon, here's what I've read.
- Bernie Sanders Guide to Political Revolution by Bernie Sanders--YA non-fiction
- I am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez--YA and so good!
- Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton--the best in the series so far
- Currently reading--The Atlas of Forgotten Place by Jenny D. Williams (about 50% done)
- Read Your Own Damn Books--My goal was to read 25 books from my TBR shelves this year and I am up to 37 so this challenge is feeling really good!
- Travel the World in Books--The idea is to read books set in as many countries as possible. I haven't added any new countries in the past two weeks.
- Literary Escapes--Similar to the previous challenge, this one tracks the US states. I didn't add any new states because every YA book is set in New York. :-)
- Read all of the ALA YA Award Winners--complete
Two more weeks until Winter Break! For the second year our school district is providing Christmas presents for the homeless and foster youth in our district. My family has adopted the neediest of the families (5 live in a van) and I have enjoyed shopping for their presents and thinking of ways to make the holidays a little better for them. We buy them necessities such as grocery store gift cards, sweaters, and blankets, but we also make sure to get them something personal.
I've also been charged with a new project that has nothing to do with my job: I am figuring out bilingual signage for our schools. It's a huge project, but it's fun to do something different.
I've also been doing a bunch in my capacity as the Chair of our union Bargaining Team. We signed off on six issues of contract language (good), but are at impasse on another (bad). So, we'll have a mediator day in January. I've never been to impasse before so it could be interesting.
But the most exciting new activity is working with out continuation high school to learn blogging. I put out a call/request to bloggers in this post, A Request to the Blogging World.
I purchased two phones in the past week. I splurged and bought myself the new iPhone X! I justified it because I sold my iphone 6 and all my camera equipment, which covered most of the cost. I must admit that facial recognition is better than I thought it would be; I am quite enjoying that feature along with the fabulous camera! The other phone is because we had no power twice: once planned by Southern California Edison, the other not planned. Darn those eucalyptus branches! So, I bought us a landline that will work when the power goes out. I love how it looks!
I am watching the new/current seasons of:
- Madam Secretary
- Criminal Minds
- Will and Grace--why has this disappeared until next week?!
- The Crown, season 2--I am really looking forward to this when it is available on Netflix at the end of this week