My life in books:
Since my last Sunday Salon, here's what I've read. I am running this on Saturday so that I can post my 2017 Book Review tomorrow.
- Far From the Tree by Robin Benway--Fantastic YA!
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon--a fun YA
- The Librarian of Auschwitz--YA and well done
- The Inner Life of Animals by Peter Wohlleben
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah--Adult non-fiction that is super interesting
- The Boys Who Challenged Hitler by Phillip Hoose--an intriguing YA
- Currently reading--The
Challenges final tally:
- Read Your Own Damn Books--My goal was to read 25 books from my TBR shelves this year and I finished the year reading 43 so that feels good.
- Travel the World in Books--The idea was to read books set in as many countries as possible. I added Poland, Denmark, and South Africa in the past two weeks to make it 36 countries for the year.
- Literary Escapes--Similar to the previous challenge, this one tracks the US states. I didn't add any new states, but my total for the year is 21 states.
- Read all of the ALA YA Award Winners--complete
Still on Winter Break for one more day!
We finally got back into our house after being evacuated for 5 days. What an ordeal. And I know that there are billions of people in the world who have it worse than that every single day so I feel bad for letting it get to me, but it was no fun. The best part about the day we got back into our house (Thursday, December 21) was that I saw this incredible sunrise (that photo has no filter!) over the ocean and the wharf then drove to Los Angeles to pick up my daughter from school so she can be home for the holidays. Back in the house and Sophia? That's a great day.
We then had only 3 days until Christmas so got a tree and started shopping. It's definitely a "lesser" gift-giving year since we really have what we need; I feel so lucky about that. It's wonderful when you ask your teenager what she wants for Christmas and the only thing she wants is a French Press.
I did well in the book world for Christmas (in addition to cashmere and chocolate). And as you can see at the top of the book pile, I also got my 2018 bullet journal. I am so excited to set it up, sort of a symbolic fresh start.
I watched all of season 2 of The Crown, which I really enjoyed. I am sad that there won't be any more seasons.