I haven't done an end-of-the-year wrap up in a long time and this year I want to do it, so here goes....
What I read by the numbersWhen I was a Teacher Librarian, I was reading over 100 books a year. Now that I am a Digital Literacy Coach (and driving all over the place for my daughter's dance and acting), I have read only 48 books for the year. Huh. I wish it was a bit more, not because the total number matters, but because there were times during the year that I missed out on reading.
- Non-Fiction--4. Well, that's outrageous. I am embarrassed that I only read 4 non-fiction books in 2014!
- Young Adult--36. Not a surprise, I really do love YA books!
- Dystopian--2. Now this is shocking! I was on a real dystopian kick in 2013. I guess I needed a break!
- Graphic Novels--1. So disappointing. I have only read one graphic novel since 2012 :-(
- Historical Fiction--3
- LGBTQ--0. Another surprise. I read a lot of LGBTQ when I was working in the Library
- Science Fiction--1
Countries I visitedI managed to visit 16 countries this year through the books I read. That's not bad, but I would like it to be even more. If you'd like to see which books were in each state or country, visit my Google Reading Map
- Sierra Leon
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
- United States (CA, GA, IL, KS, MA, MS, NE, NJ, NY, OH, PA, SC, VA, WA, WI)
- US Virgin Islands
The cream of the cropIf I don't like a book, I don't finish it. There are too many good and great books out there to waste my time reading books I don't like. Therefore, most of the books that I review get 4, 4.5, or 5 stars. These are the one that, when I read them, impressed me enough to get 5 stars
- The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Language of Threads by Gail Tsukiyama
- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
- War Brothers by McKay and LaFrance (graphic novel)
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Wonder by RJ Palacio
My reading goals for 2015
- Read more books set outside the United States
- Read more non-fiction and graphic novels
- Read more. Just more. Not a specific number, but I definitely had weeks where I didn't read this year because I was busy working and driving to dance stuff.