- This is My America by Kim Johnson
- Big Summer Book Challenge--1 books this week. 4 books total
- Literary Escapes Challenge--This week: 0 states and 0 countries. 22 states and 21 countries total
- Mount TBR Challenge--1 book read this week, 48 books total
- Popsugar reading challenge--0 books read this week, 31 books total
- Social Justice Challenge--1 books read this month, 8 books total
- YA Award Winners--0 books read this week, 7 books total
My life outside books:
Interesting pandemic thought: I am spending way less money these days (probably due to lack of travel). But, I am buying lots of books, so many in fact that my TBR shelf has expanded by at least half a shelf. I am also buying things to make working at home better (green screen, ring light, etc). Even with all that, my budget is still smaller. Oh yeah, except for the 2 new mattresses. That killed the budget this moth.
Today my daughter flies back to New York today for her junior year in college at Vassar. I drove her down to Los Angeles yesterday and watched the temperatures rise to 117 degrees! I am so pleased that she can go back in person even if it makes me nervous. And I appreciate the college's efforts to ensure as safe a return as possible and that most professors are doing some version of in-person teaching. As a teacher, I know that it is scary to think of teaching classes in person so the fact that most professors are doing it is brave and I am thankful. At least they have small classes. That's the beauty of a small college (only 2500 students); they have small classes and can socially distance, test everyone every 2 weeks, and more.
Before my daughter left, we discovered a new podcast: Crime Junkie. I know it sounds morbid, but I find true crime to be quite fascinating. We also watched the Netflix series Immigration Nation, which made us both so angry at ICE.
As I walk my treadmill, I am watching the Prime series, America to Me about education and Black students, which is interesting. Just so you don't think all my listening and watching is depressing, we've also been working our way through the Great British Baking Show again. It's just as good the second time through!