- Gravel Heart by Abdulrazak Gurnah
- DNF--My Calamity Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brody Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. I think this book is good and well done, but the setting of the wild west (Annie Oakley, Wild Bill Hickock, and Calamity Jane) just didn't work for me.
- The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff
- Big Summer Book Challenge--1 book this week. 3 books total
- Literary Escapes Challenge--This week: 1 states and 1 country. 21 states and 19 countries total
- Mount TBR Challenge--2 books read this week, 41 books total
- Popsugar reading challenge--1 book read this week, 31 books total
- Social Justice Challenge--1 book read this month, 7 books total
- YA Award Winners--0 books read this week, 7 books total
My life outside books:
I had a wonderful week of seeing friends in person (outside and socially-distanced) whom I haven't seen in a long time (some as long as 2 years).
- On Monday I saw a friend and former colleague who moved to Texas 2 years ago when she retired, but has moved back to town because her husband died unexpectedly in February. 2020 has not been kind to her so it was wonderful to see her, to catch up, and to support her.
- On Thursday a friend and former colleague drove up from Ventura. We ate lunch and shared a bit of Birthday cake to celebrate both our birthdays (she is in June and mine is in a week). Again, so great to see her in person after far too long.
- I am now the president of my high school's Alumni Association so my new vice president came over to strategize for the year. We knew each other in high school, but have become friends in the past couple of years so it was great to know we'll be "in charge" together for the next 4 years.
My daughter and I discovered Our Planet on Netflix this week and what a joy! The photography is incredible and beautiful, the information fascinating, and it was really relaxing to watch a nature show in amongst all the crazy that is our lives in the United States right now. We watched three episodes: Grasslands to Deserts, Frozen Planet, and Jungles. I highly recommend this series.
Businesses continue to go out of business here due to COVID so our downtown is really starting to feel a little bleak. Sur La Table is leaving so I braved the line Friday to buy a couple new pans, baking tins, and an electric kettle for my daughter's dorm room. All at 30% off!
I am still walking on my treadmill each morning for 30 minutes and about 3 to 4 times a week my daughter and I go for a 30-40 minute walk. This week we actually managed a little bit down by our local beach without running into too many people! I'm now down 33 pounds and it feels good.