My life in books:
Reading over the past couple of weeks has been good even though I was on holiday and now am grading for a course I'm teaching.
- Take the Bai Road by Erika Mitchell--another fun spy installment
- In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero--memoir and award winner
- Three Truths and a Lie by Brent Hartinger
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult--an intriguing novel of prejudice and commonality
- Read Your Own Damn Books--My goal is to read 25 books from my TBR shelves this year. So far I've read 30, adding one in the past two weeks.
- Travel the World in Books--The idea is to read books set in as many countries as possible. In the past two weeks I added three new countries, Mexico, Columbia, and Spain.
- Literary Escapes--Similar to the previous challenge, this one tracks the US states. In the past two weeks I added one new state, Washington, DC (I know, it isn't a state, but I'm counting it) so I am at 18 states total.
- Read all of the ALA YA Award Winners--I read the final book for this challenge so I have completed it!
I've been back in Santa Barbara for a week or so and am in the midst of teaching an online American Government course with 58 students!
I managed to stub my toe on day one in London and broke it. Not much to do for a broken toe, but it meant I was a bit slower and a bit hobbly in my walking. We visited the Globe Theater, the Tate Modern, did some shopping, and spent time with a friend we made years ago when he taught my daughter in a dance class in London.
I am now starting more serious training for the AVON walk. We did a 6 mile walk the day after I got back from the UK and a 4 mile walk the next day. My toe was definitely sore by the end of it! And it's a lovely shade of purple and blue as well. I ended up cutting a hole in my new shoes so that my toe had room to expand while I walk. It's definitely making a difference as the walks get longer each weekend.
- My daughter and I started a new series while on vacation in the UK: Suits. I didn't have any interest in watching it because I wasn't sure what it was about, but we're enjoying it!
- I finally watched the final episode of season 2 of Madam Secretary and I really like this show. Now I have to wait a while for season three to be on Netflix.
- We're also watching the final season of the Great British Baking Show. I do love this one!
- We finished the Harry Potter movies, which inspired my dad to read all the books again.