My life in books:
This past two weeks I didn't read much at all and I'm not sure why though I did go book shopping! Here's what I read since my last Sunday Salon
- Humans of New York: Stories by Brandon Stanton. I enjoyed reading these stories!
- March: Book One by John Lewis. This book felt fitting as we get closer to the inauguration
- Diamond Boy by Michael Williams. This book was interesting and a good YA
- Depraved Heart by Patricia Cornwell. I am a Patricia Cornwell fan, but this wasn't one of my favorites.
And here are the books I bought for myself on a spree at Chaucer's, our local independent bookshop
- The Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah (post civil war in Sierra Leon)
- Still Life by Louise Penny (a mystery that many people have told me is good)
- Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (2 people recommended this one to me)
- Night of Many Dreams by Gail Tsukiyama (I love all her books)
- The Invention of Wings by Susan Monk Kidd (it seems everyone is saying this one is a must read)
- March: Book One by John Lewis (see above)
My new job is really sedentary so I have been trying to walk more. Yesterday was a beautiful morning here so I walked down to the beach and was treated to dolphins frolicking in the ocean. Not a bad way to begin a three-day weekend. I walked to the beach again this morning. No dolphins, but plenty of sunshine.
I was planning on going to LA next weekend for the Women's March, but it turns out someone is organizing one here in Santa Barbara so I'm going to attend that one instead. It turns out she hadn't really done much organizing other than posting about it so I created the Facebook Event and will also get the permit from the city. It feels good to be involved.