The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists.
Top Ten books I wish I'd read as a kid...
- Watership Down by x--I have never read this book and feel like I've missed out on something basic in our culture
- The Wizard of Oz--yes, yes, I've seen the movie more times than I care to count, but I never read the book
- Ann McCaffrey's Dragon books--As a pre-teen all my friends read these books and I didn't. I felt SO out of it when they talked about them, but dragons just weren't/aren't my thing.
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry--I read this last year with my daughter and LOVED it
- Fiction with girls doing sports--Title IX didn't exist until I was 7 years old and so fiction starring athletic girls took a generation until it was available
Ok, so it turns out that I read mostly what I wish I had as a kid. The rest of this list contains books that I wish had existed when I was a kid (1960s to the early 1980s), but weren't published until I was older
- The Giver and other books by Lois Lowry--Do I even need to explain why?
- Harry Potter books--I loved these as an adult and would have devoured them as a pre-teen
- Laurie Halse Anderson's historical fiction--If I had read Chains, Forge, and Fever 1793 maybe I would have liked U.S. history better growing up
- War Horse--Michael Morpurgo just knows how to put together a story!
- Books like Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelen--I wish I'd read books about far away places and people that I could relate to. I was a kid who was interested in the world and books like this would have made me read, read, read